Wednesday, February 3, 2016

COURAGE OF CONVICTION


Harry Shepler, a young man of whom the Sunday School Times tells, was in the signal service. Being ordered one morning by a sergeant to report for duty at the canteen, he refused to do so & the sergeant threatened to report him to the officer that day.

"All right," said Shepler, "go ahead. I did not enlist to be a bartender but a soldier & I will not report at the canteen."

He was duly reported to the major who sent for him. Shepler went with trembling knees & with a steady heart, for he knew he was right. The officer said to him, "Are you the young man who disobeyed orders this morning?"

"Yes, sir, I am."

"Why did you do it?"

"Simply because I do not believe it is right to do what I was asked to do. I enlisted to be a soldier & not a bartender."

The major arose quickly from his stool & extending his hand, said: "Shepler, you are the kind of man we want. I am glad to see a fellow who has the courage of his convictions. You are not obliged to report at the canteen."

- (moreillustrations.com)

Pro 15:1 (GNB): “A gentle answer quiets anger, but a harsh one stirs it up.”

“Soft words are hard arguments.” - Thomas Fuller.

No comments: