Tuesday, November 17, 2015

COMPASSION


Abraham Lincoln (1809-65) during the Civil War frequently visited the hospitals & addressed cheering words to the wounded warriors.

On one occasion he found a young soldier whose legs had been amputated & who was evidently sinking rapidly.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" asked Lincoln.

"You might write a letter to my mother," was the faint reply.

The President wrote at the youth's dictation:

"My dearest mother: I have been shot bad, but am bearing up. I tried to do my duty. They tell me I cannot recover. God bless you & father; kiss Mary & John for me."

At the end were these words: "Written by Abraham Lincoln."

When the boy saw these added words, he looked with astonishment at the visitor & asked, "Are you our President?"

"Yes," was the quiet answer.

- The Illustrator (moreillustrations.com)

"Biblical orthodoxy without compassion is surely the ugliest thing in the world." -  Francis Schaeffer.


Psa 145:8 (KJV): "The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy."

No comments: